Aerobic exercise is good and essential for your heart. Learn about the health benefits and the latest aerobic exercise guidelines.
The latest guidelines from the American Heart Association recommend almost 30 minutes of moderately intense aerobic exercise.
They recommend it 5 days in a week or 20 minutes of high intensity aerobic exercise 3 days in a week. This plan is helpful to maintain physical fitness as well as reduce your risk of chronic disease.
“The number one cause of death in America is Cardiovascular disease. Which is associated with physical inactivity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and smoking. cardiovascular disease accounts for almost 36 percent of all U.S. deaths.”Aerobic exercise enhances the fitness of the heart and lungs.
Major Benefits of Aerobic Exercise
To improve your lifestyle, take note of these other perks :
- Mental benefits. “If you do Aerobic exercise and eat high protein foods then it will improve your memory. It will give you confidence and improve emotional stability, and brain function” notes Tripps. Studies show that every year about 19 million Americans experience depression. It is widely accepted that aerobic exercise enhances the symptoms of depression.
- Health benefits. Aerobic exercise along with healthy diet strengthening your heart and lungs. It also helps lower your cholesterol, improve your immune function and lower your blood pressure.
- Physical benefits. It burns up your calories, which can in turn help you to lose weight fast. It can also tone your muscles and improves posture.
- Fitness benefits. In addition to looking great and being healthier, it increases your stamina. It gives you more energy for your work and play.
- Other benefits. You will sleep in better way and handle stress better, and you will feel better about yourself.
Before beginning any exercise program, if you have health issues, talk to your doctor. Choose activities that you enjoy mostly. Aerobic dance, hiking, biking even walking can help in this regard. Here are some best tips to remember:
- As you get the suggested 30 minutes of moderately intense aerobic exercise 5 days a week. So do not exceed your limit.
- If you are healthy enough to exercise at a very high intensity, do not exceed your target heart rate. You can get your target rate by subtracting your own age from 220, then multiplying that number of years by 70 percent.
- Drink sufficient amount of fluids before, during, and after your workouts.
- Avoid high-intensity aerobic exercise for one to two hours after eating.
- Include warm-up as well as cool-down periods in your exercise routines.
- Skip your gym workout when you are ill or overtired.
Research indicates that aerobic exercise is helpful even if it’s done in shorter segments throughout the whole day. From your busy schedule you can find time for 10-minute periods of moderate-intensity aerobic activity.
“Start with a small amount of aerobic exercise and then work your way toward some specific goals. Keep a sensible weight loss diet program and maintain exercise in perspective,” advises Tripps. To stay motivated, you can exercise with your spouse, friend, or your children. Make it a usual part of a healthier lifestyle for you and for your loved ones.